Hachrazah 5770 Cheshvon 29 c
Informal translation from Hebrew of the 29 Cheshvon, 5770 (16 November 2009) statement:
Study Curriculum (study program) of the Sanhedrin can be given to suitable lecturers.
1. Reason for studies:
The Rambam determined that the lost of the war against the Romans stemmed from a lack of public preparation to be professional soldiers. Accordingly, a curriculum recommended herein which develops understanding war as a first step to professional preparation to being a soldier.
- Studying the nation of Israel’s struggle to uphold religious freedom and national independence.
- Studying the concepts of military history, in tactics and in strategy, and in analyzing wars, battles and combat.
- Detailed reconstruction of wars, battles, and combat from the formative period of the religion and nation of Israel.
- Studying the lessons from wars, battles, and combat.
2. Subjects of the Course
- What is military history
- Ancient war codes
- Geo-strategic analysis of the ancient Middle East
- Abraham’s pursuit of the northern kings
- The wars of Joshua bin-Nun
- The war of Deborah and Barak against Sisera
- The war of Gideon against the Midianites
- The wars against Amalek
- The wars of King Saul against the Philistines
- The wars of King David
- The Maccabean wars
- The Great Revolt against the Romans
- The war of Massada
- The Bar Kochba Rebellion
- The relevance of wars in the Bible and the Talmud until our days.
- Abramski, S. “The War of Freedom of Massada”, Machanaim, 7, 5724
- Efal Y., “Fighting methods of the children of Israel in the period of Conquest and Settling”, Machanaim, 79, 5752
- Vilnai Z., “The Roman Army in the Land of Israel”, Machanaim, 37, 5719
- Yadin, Y., “The Art of War in the Biblical Lands”, Bi”l company, 5723
- Millstein, A, “Collapse, and its Lesson”, Seridut, fourth edition, 2003
- Gafni, S. “The Battle of Kfar Shalem and the New Battle”, Machanaim, 34, 5718
- Plusar, D., “The Bar Kochba Rebellion and its Results”, Machanaim 59, 5721
- Kanel, B., “The Wars of Saul and David”, Machanaim, 69, 5752
- Schwartz, M., “War Methods in the book of Joshua in Particular, and the Ancient Period in General”, Machanaim, 69, 5752.
- Avi Yona, M., Sifrai, S, (Editors), Carta Atlas of the 2nd Temple Period, the Mishnah and Talmud, Jerusalem, 1966.
- Sources in the Bible, Mishnah, Talmud, Midrash, and Halacha