Legal Adjudication for Soldiers
From The Sanhedrin - en
The purpose of the committee to advise the nascent Sanhedrin on military and security issues.
The committee deals with fundamental security problems, and advises the Sanhedrin so that it can operate in areas where, until now, rabbinical bodies have been unable to deal with them.
In parallel to the committee, a rabbi experienced with military problems was appointed in order to rule for requesting soldiers on halachic questions relevant to the military and characteristic of military activity:
Just like Sabbath observance in emergency situations, illegal orders to desecrate the Sabbath, kashrut problems, and even problems of faith.
Committee are Dr. Uri Mlistein - Known from many publications in military philosophy and military history.
Eviatar Ben Tzadaf - Former editor of the military thought periodical "Ma'arachot"
Dr. Michael Bronstein - Known for many battle investigations that he helped edit.
Organizer - Rabbi Dov Meir Stein, assisted by members of the Sanhedrin and its institutions.
Reports, Analysis & Opinions
- The Soldier who called for Refusal [to Uproot Jewish Homes]: I would do it again. (7 Shevat 5770, 22 January 2010)
- Guidance for the Soldiers of Israel: Ethical Code (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- Source References in Jewish Law: The Law of Rodef (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- Why learning in yeshiva does not mean evasion from protecting the country (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- For peace, our enemies must pay (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- Sanhedrin Study Program (curricula) (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- Post - modernist prevailing today in Israel and the Western world (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- How to prevent attempted annihilation of the Jewish People (29 Cheshvon 5770, 16 November 2009)
- Presentation for Earthquake and CV"S Nuclear Strike Preparedness (12 Av 5769, 2 August 2009)
- Opening a car parking lot gate on the Shabbat (10 Iyyar 5768, 15 May 2008)
- Winograd report (investigation of the Lebanon War II), its conclusions and its implications (25 Shevat 5768, 1 February 2008)
- Security and peace, errors needed to correct, involving basic policies required at this time in the Gaza Strip (5 Sivan 5767, 22 May 2007)
- Living with terror - diffusion and convergence (8 Av 5766, 2 August 2006)
Relationship to the Nascent Sanhedrin
These Reports, Analysis & Opinions have have been submitted to the Sanhedrin in an advisory capacity only, and may or may not reflect the official position of the Sanhedrin. They are the work of the esteemed experts in their field, and are included here to indicate the kind of questions being handled by the Sanhedrin.